Monday 12 January 2015




A photographer in Abuja has revealed how he was on Sunday detained by security operatives because his face looks like that of a Muslim.


 Tim reveals that he was picked up at Holy Trinity Church in Maitama, Abuja, at about 10.am on Sunday and interrogated by the security officials who said he looked like a terrorist. According to Mr. Tim who took to social media to vent his anger using his Twitter account (@jtimdal): “So I got detained by Security Operatives today in church just because they say and feel I look like a ‘Muslim’” “This happened at Holy Trinity Church, Maitama, Abuja about an hour ago, I was forced to say a catholic prayer which I recited perfectly.”

 “Not convinced enough my phone was taken from me and checked, 2 pictures on my phone they saw and another round of questioning ensued.” “1 picture was a friend of mine from uni dressed in a costume as part of final year week activities, the 2nd was a pic I took while I was doing my youth service back in Bauchi in 2011.

“I schooled in UNIBEN and got posted to Bauchi for NYSC. According to the Security Operatives, that was suspicious.” “At this point I almost got whisked away to wherever they had the intention of taking to, luckily for me a family friend came out of church.”

 “They said I most likely got indoctrinated while in Bauchi and will most likely be a security risk. At that point I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at their stupidity and ignorance. “They identified me and verified all I had said to them, so they allowed me go but took my details and his and said they would get back to us.” “I still can’t believe what happened today obviously its not safe to walk around freely for fear of been profiled. May God help us!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment